Who are the professional ophthalmologists? In order to become one of them, you need to be qualified. What then, are the qualifications or requirements?
- College Degree. If you want to be a professional ophthalmologist, you have to finish a college degree. Aside from finishing a college degree, you must become an M.D or D.O. Remember that you are a professional doctor.
- You must have the license as an ophthalmologist so that you can legally conduct surgical operations of the eye.
- As an ophthalmologist to be, you must undergo a lot of training. What kinds of training? You need to be trained about eye care. If your patient has blurred visions, check first what he needs. Does your patient need surgical operations? Does he need to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses?
- Post-graduate degree. A physician never stop learning. They continue their studies for further knowledge and to apply these knowledge.
- Sub-specialty training. Aside from the specialization in ophthalmologist, there are sub-specialty trainings. Some of these sub-specialties are about glaucoma, ocular pathology, and surgical retina.
- Oral and Written exam. In some countries, it is strictly required to take and pass these exams. As you know, there are a lot of medical terms. So, those who don’t know how to speak the International language which is English, must study it right now.
- Work experience. Don’t expect that you will immediately implement operations related to the eyes. As an eye surgeon, you have to make sure that you have an extra-ordinary skill. Your skills have to be refined.
So, good luck! You are a great help and inspiration to many people.